announcing the availability of 4.3BSD Usenix manuals

Barry Shein bzs at bu-cs.BU.EDU
Fri Oct 3 10:05:31 AEST 1986

Hmm, maybe some light is coming through...

So, basically my source license (or, as I suspect, binary license
tho I'm not sure) says I can make copies for myself and some other
folks (like staff) covered under the license agreement.

Usenix is not authorized to do this. All they are doing is acting in
the same manner as my copy center might, they are relying entirely on
*my* license to legitimize their copying of the materials.

Unfortunately, that almost makes sense (as much as the laws of man
ever make sense...)

Oh well, it does seem like someone ought to -ask- AT&T if they would
allow a release (and/or UCB, probably "and".) Was this done? At least
to the point that anyone with a Binary license could purchase them,
if not just anyone.

I still find the current situation silly (essentially, Joe Shmoe can
not legally buy a 4.x manual), but it's not the only thing...

	-Barry Shein, Boston University