better papers (First impressions)

John S. Quarterman jsq at longway.TIC.COM
Wed Jul 19 06:45:31 AEST 1989

In article <4334 at eos.UUCP>, eugene at eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
> Erik Fair and I were talking about this the other day.
> The better papers now go to the Workshops.
>
> He thought one great conference could be made by selecting the best
> papers from each of the workshops and repeating them.  Just so long
> as the Workshops themselves can stay small.

As others have pointed out, this was discussed at the open meeting
with the board in Baltimore.  There's been no formal decision on it,
but everybody on the board seemed favorable, and I believe we've been
recommending that workshop chairs encourage such submissions and that
conference chairs consider them.  There are no plans at the moment for
a whole conference made up of such papers, but that will be among the
possibilities discussed at the next board meeting (I'll bring it up
if nobody else does).

John Quarterman <jsq at usenix.org>