Monograph Series on Advanced Computing Systems

Steven Bellovin smb at ulysses.att.com
Wed Jul 11 04:27:32 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun30.013509.24393 at arnor.uucp>, donner at bree.watson.ibm.com (Marc Donner) writes:
> Code - We are interested in exploring the possibilities of publishing
>    code to read.
>    ... The conventional codex
>    form, long accepted as appropriate for literary works and texts, may
>    not be the right one for programs.

It isn't.  I'd hate to try to read any substantial piece of code
without (at the least) grep to help me out.  Years ago, on other (blue)
machines, I relied on elaborate cross-references to read listings, but
bemoaned their inadequacies.  If you're going to publish programs, publish
them electronically.