list inexpensive hotels and hostels for conferences

Mark A Allyn maa at ssc-vax.UUCP
Fri Jul 6 02:09:11 AEST 1990

I have noticed that the material that I get as a member of Usenix
about conferences and workshops only lists the *expensive* hotels
in the area. Most of them are either the Marriot, Hyatt, or the like.

I would like to propose to Usenix that they also list the YMCA's,
American Youth Hotels, and the like as well. In addition, since almost
all of the conferences have people from the local universities involved,
why not make arrangements to allow attendees to use the univiersity
dormatories. This should be particularly easy for those conferences
happening during the summer months when school is not in session and the
dormatories are not in use.

A local ham radio conference has done this with a university and it has
worked great. I am suprised that Usenix, which must have a lot of members
who are not backup up by corporate expense accounts, has not tried to do
this in the past.

Another suggestion is what a gathering of choruses did here a while back
and that is to arrange to have some of the attendees stay with local people
in their homes. This has the added benifit of allowing the members to know
each other better in an environment that is more pleasing than the plastic
large hotel one.

Mark A. Allyn  phone    206-773-8308 (day)  206-526-8852 (nite)
			206-773-1546
			206-773-8981        if all fails:
			206-773-2957        digital pager 206-986-5553

               US Mail  Boeing Company
                        Mail Stop 8Y-03
			P.O. Box 3777
			Seattle Wa. 98124