<None>

Ellie Young ellie at usenix.ORG
Wed Jun 27 08:04:02 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jun22.010307.11995 at athena.mit.edu>, jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

>   I'm giving a talk to the staff here tomorrow about what happened at
> the summer conference, and since many of them haven't been around long
> enough to have a good idea of what USENIX is, I want to give a brief
> introduction.
>
>   However, none of the literature I have which was published by USENIX
> (granted, I don't have much of it :-) gives a good short summary of what
> the organization is.
>
>   Can anyone provide me with such a summary.  I *know* what USENIX is,
> but I don't know what *USENIX* says USENIX is.
>
>   Also, if possible, a brief summary of the various conferences held
> each year would be helpful (e.g. How many general conferences are held
> each year, and when?  How many conferences on specific topics?  etc.).
>
>   Thanks in advance.
>
> Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
> MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
> jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
> Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710

Dear Jonathan,
Below is a short paragraph pertaining to the Association and
it's workshops/meetings.  I hope you find it useful and if
anyone wants more information about joining and/or participating
in the meetings, please have them contact the Association's
office at:

USENIX Association
2560 Ninth Street, Suite 215
Berkeley, CA  94710
Tel:  (415) 528-8649
EMAIL:  office at usenix.org

The USENIX Association is a not-for-profit
organization of those interested in UNIX
and UNIX-like systems.  It is dedicated to fostering
and communicating the development of research and technological
information and ideas pertaining to advanced computing systems,
to the monitoring and encouragement of continuing innovation in
advanced computing environments,  and to the provision of a forum
where technical issues are aired and critical thought exercised
so that its members can remain current and vital.

Founded in 1975, the Association conducts large semi-annual technical
conferences and sponsors workshops concerned with
varied special-interest topics; publishes proceedings of those
meetings; publishes a bimonthly newsletter ;login:;
published with the University of California Press a quarterly
technical journal, Computing Systems; serves as coordinator of an
exchange of software; and distributes 4.3 BSD manuals and 2.10 BSD
tapes.  The Association also actively participates in and reports on the
activities of various ANSI, IEEE and ISO standards efforts.

In 1989, the Association sponsored five workshops in:  Software
Management, UNIX Transaction Processing, Large Installation Systems
Administration, Experiences with Distributed and Multiprocessor
Systems, and Computer Graphics.  During 1990, a C++ conference
was held in April, and workshops on Security, Mach, and
Large Installation Systems Administration are planned for the Fall.