Why not pick *nice* places for the Usenix conventions?

Brian Kantor brian at ucsd.Edu
Mon Jun 24 14:36:08 AEST 1991

bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
>1. Winter '92 - San Francisco Hilton, as downtown as you can get, I
>	liked this hotel *a lot* the last time we had a conference
>	there.

And if they haven't fixed the goddamn fire alarm system in that hotel by
now, I suggest we
	1) issue a supply of earplugs
	2) hold a bonfire in the lobby
	3) wake up the manager at 4 am and ring his bell for 15 minutes straight
	4) strew tacks all over the floor in the manager's office to
		simulate running down 15 stories of concrete steps barefoot
	5) sue

And no, it WASN'T pranksters, it was a brand new system, according to
the security guard.  Three times in one night, and not a single night
without at least one false alarm.  Phooey.  Now I understand why people
die in hotel fires - they learn to ignore the alarms.
	- Brian