Query about Eunice (again)

mark edwards edwards at uwmacc.UUCP
Mon Oct 27 23:56:37 AEST 1986

In article <371 at cti.cti.UUCP> eric at cti.UUCP (Eric Black) writes:
>Several weeks ago I posted an article asking for recommendations,
>experiences, horror stories, miraculous tales, and otherwise
>trying to get information about Eunice and The Wollongong
>Group.  Unfortunately, at about the same time my uucp connectivity
>was changing.  I received no replies, and have seen zero traffic
>in this newsgroup as well.  Hopefully the shifting sands of
>uucp connections caused the numerous replies to go into the
>bit bucket (does it have a little shovel?).
>
>Anyway, once again I would like to ask for your impressions
>of Eunice (especially Release 4.2, which of course is derived
>from 4.1bsd), if you ran into any problems other than subtle
>ones caused by depending on particular underlying assumptions
>which aren't handled well (such as hard links & reference counts).
>I am also MORE than merely interested in your experiences with
>The Wollongong Group itself, their technical support and
>responsiveness (or lack of it).

    4.2 works fairly well, compared to what I saw in 4.1. If you
    can, read the manual that they send along with it, several times.
    VMS is bizarre, Unix is simple so that makes Eunice Simply bizarre.
    It's a wierd feeling in that environment. I don't know about links
    yet, but if you have any other questions, just ask away and I'll see
    what I can do.

    But again as long as you have it set up right, (that might be the
    entire problem, you may never get it right!!) it works. I support
    two sites, and we are working on getting a third.

>At this point, I don't even know if anybody out there even
>reads this newsgroup any more.  I sure would like to get information
>from a source OTHER than the list of hand-picked customer
>references from TWG.

    I read it, and I certainly am not hand picked .

    I posted here, just in case we can get more discussions going ....

mark
--
    {allegra, ihnp4, seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!edwards
    UW-Madison, 1210 West Dayton St., Madison WI 53706