Help with EUNICE 4.2 wanted

jbuck at epimass.UUCP jbuck at epimass.UUCP
Sat Feb 14 04:31:36 AEST 1987

Hi.  I wrote the code to make news 2.11 run on Eunice.  If people
are having problems with it I'd like to hear about them.

But before writing to me:

1) Make sure you have Eunice version 4.2 (the bsd version)
2) Make sure you have installed all three patches.
3) Before building, check inews.c.  If the line

	UNLINK(ACTIVE, bfr)

appears in it, change this line to

	UNLINK(bfr)

(I said "if" because I think there's a corrected version of patch #3
floating around that doesn't introduce this bug).

4) Make sure to type "vmsobj" before building! (Very important).

5) Start by copying "localize.vms" to localize.sh.  Make your local
changes in your copy of localize.sh (see the installation manual).
By the way, read the whole installation manual; most of the things
you have to know are the same things people on real Unices need to
know (I considered saying RTFM but decided to be polite).

6) Whenever you modify "active", make sure the file ends up in Unix
   format, or chaos will result.

Finally, if you write to me, send your localize.sh.
--
- Joe Buck 	{hplabs,ihnp4,sun,ames}!oliveb!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California