Eunice file name hashing.

sperbeck at mipos3.UUCP sperbeck at mipos3.UUCP
Fri Mar 13 11:47:07 AEST 1987

I am running Eunice 4.1 under VMS and some Ultrix machines.  When
doing a wildcard copy of files from VMS to Ultrix, the file names
are left in uppercase.  I am finishing up a program to convert the
file names to lowercase, but Eunice file names need to be handled
specially.

What I need to know is how the "$" mechanism is used by Eunice in
creating file that have invalid VMS names.  I understand that "$" is
normally used to change case, but punctuation characters seem to be
handled differently with two characters after the "$".  The
documentation I have only discusses the case change.

Does this message make any sense at all?

John Sperbeck

...{ucbvax!hplabs, decwrl!amdcad, wnuxb!inhp4!qantel}!intelca!mipos3!sperbeck