4.3.2 vmsld(1) & f{puts,printf} bug

steve emmerson steve at umigw.MIAMI.EDU
Fri Apr 14 22:58:43 AEST 1989

I've just received confirmation from the TWG support group on a EUNICE
4.3.2 vmsld(1) bug report I sent them.  They've also sent me a workaround
and I have one of my own.

PROBLEM:
    Fputs(3) and fprintf(3) won't work when built under vmsld(1).

REPEAT BY:
    Use this program ("a.c"):
        #include <stdio.h>
        main()
        {
            puts("puts works");
            fputs("fputs works\n", sdtout);
            printf("printf works\n");
            fprintf(stdout, "fprintf works\n");
        }

    Build and run it (note missing output):
        % /usr/eun/vmscc -c a.c
        % /usr/eun/vmsld a.c
        % a.out
        puts works
        printf works

WORKAROUND:
    TWG's:
        % cc -S -R a.c                  # assembler source to "a.s"
        % /usr/eun/vmsas -o a.obj a.s
        % suspend
        $ link a.obj,twg$usr:[libvms]crt0.obj,libc/lib
        $ resume

    Mine:
        Use the vmsld(1) that came with the original EUNICE 4.3BSD release.
        It works for the above program.  I just asked TWG support if they
        foresee any problems with this approach and will inform you of
        their response.

P.S. Why is this newsgroup so quiescent?
--
Steve Emmerson                     Inet: steve at umigw.miami.edu [128.116.10.1]
SPAN: miami::emmerson (host 3074::)      emmerson%miami.span at star.stanford.edu
UUCP: ...!ncar!umigw!steve               emmerson%miami.span at vlsi.jpl.nasa.gov
"Computers are like God in the Old Testament: lots of rules and no mercy"