Broken UUCP under EUNICE 4.3.2

Marcus Leech ml at gandalf.UUCP
Tue Apr 11 16:47:07 AEST 1989

Has anybody else noticed (and complained about) what a horrible botch the
  UUCP under EUNICE BSD 4.3.2 is?
It can't place outgoing calls; if UUCICO ever gets a failed "expect" during
  call-setup, it infinite loops, expecting the same thing over and over
  again.  We've had to resort to having all of our network partners call us.
I just noticed this evening that, contrary to the documents, a slave-mode
  UUCICO started (multiple!!) UUXQTS on a dialin-line.  This is very
  dangerous under VMS because VMS will kill-off the UUXQTs if they're still
  executing when the UUCICO goes away.  I was under the impression that the
  EUNICE UUCICO would NEVER spawn UUXQTs because of this problem.  The
  spawned UUXQTs also fail to honour the locking protocol used by UUXQT to
  prevent multiple-executions of the same remote execution request.
  This, fortunately, seems to happen mostly when we're receiving NEWS, which
  its own duplicate-detection.
Has anybody noticed and/or come up with any fixes for these problems?
We upgraded to EUNICE BSD 4.3.2 hoping that the testimonials published about it
  were true.  I tend to think that they were completely bogus, or were the
  result of an only-cursory evaluation of the product.
--
"This sentence not witty"               #include <std_disclaimer.h>
Marcus Leech                            E-mail:      ml at gandalf.UUCP