Automatic Logout Process

Jonathan E. Quist jeq at laidbak.UUCP
Sat Aug 24 13:23:40 AEST 1985

>	The site that I work for functions as a service center, thus
>our users ask for a selectable, adjustable idle timer.

Once again, the original request was for enforced logouts,
not a user selectable timeout.

>This was
>installed with a total investment of LESS than 10 lines of code, as most
>of the calls already exist. I realize that daemons seem to be the way
>that MOST things are handled in UN*X, but why complicate a rather easy
>task. (provided that you have source).

I rest my case.  A shell script (or c program, if you prefer)
monitoring user activity can be installed on ANY system.

Also, strictly speaking, a program that cron wakes up every
hour or so is NOT a daemon.  But who's counting.