Automatic Logout Process

Sam Kimery kimery at wdl1.UUCP
Tue Aug 20 02:32:56 AEST 1985

> 	Agreed, this is of questionable value, but suppose
> 	you modified the shells or kernel and discovered
> 	that the mod didn't *quite* work.  It would be no
> 	fun at all to discover that root had 17.3 seconds
> 	in which to un-install the mods each time he/she/it
> 	logged in.

This is why you set up a test login and install either sh or csh
(which ever you happen to be working on) someplace like /usr/local/testbin.
After it has been proven to work you then move the OLD shell to something
like csh.OLD and install the NEW shell.

	The site that I work for functions as a service center, thus
our users ask for a selectable, adjustable idle timer.  This was
installed with a total investment of LESS than 10 lines of code, as most
of the calls already exist. I realize that daemons seem to be the way
that MOST things are handled in UN*X, but why complicate a rather easy
task. (provided that you have source).

		Sam Kimery
		kimery at FORD-WDL1