Automatic Logout Process

W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235 whp at cbnap.UUCP
Wed Aug 14 23:42:56 AEST 1985

>>The simplest thing that can be done is to add an enforced timeout
>>mechanism to the shells.  Obviously this is only possible if you
>>have a source license.  The changes are fairly simple and have
>>been done by several people that I know of (myself included).
>
>Please don't change the shells!
>It's NOT worth it.

You must be using csh or some non standard shell, because the Bourne shell
(and the Korn shell too) already have a timeout mechanism!  I'm using a
SVR2.0V1 unix (new AT&T UNIX naming convention: System V Release 2.0 Version 1),
but I'm sure the changes were in previous releases of unix too.  If you
have the source for shell, look for a file "timeout.h" where you can set the
default expiration time (or set to zero if you don't want any time out).
Upon invocation, sh checks to see if the environment variable "TMOUT" is set;
if so, this over-rides the default defined in timeout.h.  On some shells
I've used, the variable was called "TIMEOUT".

Wayne Pollock,	{ihnp4}!cbnap!whp