Automatic Logout Process

Wombat rsk at pucc-k
Fri Aug 16 01:08:32 AEST 1985

In article <38 at cbnap.UUCP> whp at cbnap.UUCP (W. H. Pollock x4575 3S235) writes:

>You must be using csh or some non standard shell, because the Bourne shell
>(and the Korn shell too) already have a timeout mechanism!  I'm using a
>SVR2.0V1 unix ...  >but I'm sure the changes were in previous releases ...
>
>Upon invocation, sh checks to see if the environment variable "TMOUT" is set;
>if so, this over-rides the default defined in timeout.h.  On some shells
>I've used, the variable was called "TIMEOUT".

Besides the unwarranted backhand slap at what most folks consider to be
the standard shell for Berkeley systems, you are also guilty of sloppy
thinking.  If you will re-read the previous discussion, you will note
that the mechanisms provided by sh/ksh, which allow the user to override
any previously specified timeout value, are grossly insufficient for
the expressed purpose--enforced logout after a set idle period.
Rich Kulawiec	rsk@{pur-ee,purdue}.uucp, rsk at purdue-asc.csnet
		rsk at purdue-asc.arpa or rsk at asc.purdue.edu