Automatic Logout Process

Peter da Silva peter at baylor.UUCP
Sat Aug 17 01:16:28 AEST 1985

> > I would suspect that a mod to the tty driver would be appro.  (Fake out
> > DTR/CD going inactive on timeout.)  Due to the needed location, this
> > is highly system dependent.
>
> Please dont change the tty driver to log out idle users!!!!!!!
> The simplest thing that can be done is to add an enforced timeout
> mechanism to the shells.  Obviously this is only possible if you
> have a source license.  The changes are fairly simple and have

Naw. Just replace "/bin/sh" or "/bin/csh" in /etc/passwd with a program
that sets an alarm & execs the appropriate shell. Since neither shell to my
knowledge catches signal 14 this will dump the shell at that time. I
discovered this when trying to get around an enforced timout mechanism
in the shell at Berkeley.
--
	Peter da Silva (the mad Australian werewolf)
		UUCP: ...!shell!neuro1!{hyd-ptd,baylor,datafac}!peter