PC JOVE IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN

Ozan Yigit oz at yetti.UUCP
Thu Feb 6 04:06:46 AEST 1986

In article <11699 at ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> iverson at cory.UUCP (Tim Iverson) writes:

>	Recently there were articles posted concerning the availability of
>public domain PC JOVE source.  I have the source to jove (from a friend of the
>author) and as far as I know, PC JOVE IS NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.  The source
>contains explicit copyright notices and it does not give permission to copy
>for non-commercial purposes.  Furthermore, I was asked not to give the source
>or the executable to anyone.  If you see a PD PC JOVE, it is probably very
>old, or stolen.

	Neither old, nor stolen. The copyrighted JOVE is a recent thing,
	as recent as few months. All previous versions are non-copyrighted.
	If you want to go to the very earliest version, it was originally
	distributed by Lincoln-Sudbury highschool (where Jonathan was..)
	and that does not contain any copyrights either. This means that
	if you replace the reg. expression code and the temporary I/O code
	in JOVE, you can distribute it to the world. On the other hand, I
	am not sure if it is worth it. Perhaps one should wait and see
	u-emacs before doing anything with jove.

Oz

--
Usenet: [decvax|allegra|linus|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti]