PC JOVE IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN (neither is non-pc JOVE)

Ozan Yigit oz at yetti.UUCP
Sat Feb 8 01:17:46 AEST 1986

In article <3704 at pur-ee.UUCP> davy at pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) writes:

>Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
>The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:
>
>/*************************************************************************
> * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
> * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
> * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
> * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
> * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
> *************************************************************************/

	Key phrase here is the *current* source files. The previous ones
	DID NOT contain such a notice, and various hacked-up versions
	of jove is based on the very original, that was sent around long
	before 1984. What is this ??? Regressive copyrighting ??? I am
	getting very tired of this nonsense. The latest version Jonathan
	has released, and the one coming with 4.3 is out of bounds, for
	sure. But anything before that is *not* covered. In fact, if
	u-emacs does not turn out to be a superior replacement for
	jove, I fully intend to hack an earlier version, replace the
	regexp and temp-I/O code (two portions of code that limits
	distribution of JOVE) and POST IT TO THE NET. For your info,
	Un*x or non-Un*x, rest of the World already GOT jove. You see,
	it was included in the DECUS 85 Spring symposium tapes !!!

>Jon checked this summer with the folks at Unison World, and they told him
>it was okay for him to continue to release JOVE to people on "real"
>machines (Vaxes, etc.) since that was not their intended market (micros)
>anyway.

	Gee.. How nice of them !

Oz
--
Usenet: [decvax|allegra|linus|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
Bitnet: oz@[yusol|yuyetti]