PC JOVE IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN (neither is non-pc JOVE)

Dave Curry davy at pur-ee.UUCP
Wed Feb 5 11:53:57 AEST 1986

[I am copying this to net.emacs, since this is discussed there from time
 to time -- maybe rn will even let me do it...]

Tim Iverson is quite correct in stating that JOVE is not public domain.
The following copyright notice appears on all the current source files:

/*************************************************************************
 * This program is copyright (C) 1984,1985,1986 by Jonathan Payne/Unison *
 * World Inc.  It is provided to you without charge for use only on a    *
 * licensed Unix system.  You may copy JOVE provided that this notice    *
 * is included with the copy.  You may not sell copies of this program   *
 * or versions modified for use on microcomputer systems.                *
 *************************************************************************/

Jon checked this summer with the folks at Unison World, and they told him
it was okay for him to continue to release JOVE to people on "real"
machines (Vaxes, etc.) since that was not their intended market (micros)
anyway.

By the way, JOVE will appear as user-contributed software on the 4.3BSD
tape.  It has been extensively improved over the version most of you
probably have, including interactive processes in windows, filename
completion, lisp mode, a more complete set of EMACS-like commands, bug
fixes, speed improvements, etc.  In short, it's fantastic.  Still fits
on a PDP-11, even.

--Dave Curry
davy at ee.purdue.edu
ihnp4!pur-ee!davy