PC JOVE IS NOT PUBLIC DOMAIN

Ron Natalie <ron> ron at brl-smoke.ARPA
Sat Feb 8 03:35:51 AEST 1986

> 	Recently there were articles posted concerning the availability of
> public domain PC JOVE source.  I have the source to jove (from a friend of the
> author) and as far as I know, PC JOVE IS NOT IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.  The source
> contains explicit copyright notices and it does not give permission to copy
> for non-commercial purposes.  Furthermore, I was asked not to give the source
> or the executable to anyone.  If you see a PD PC JOVE, it is probably very
> old, or stolen.
>
> 	Attempts at contacting Jonathan are being made, but he is no longer
> in touch with civilization (i.e. the USENET, :-).

Jove first appeared on a USENIX distribution tape.  BRL has been with
permission distributing the JOVE sources with our release of BSD UNIX.
Mike Muuss assures me that Jonathon Payne has indicated that it is OK
to give jove out to anyone.  I was only concerned because I believe
our distribution consists of pieces of UNIX source code as well as
the JOVE code and hence we only distributed it to people with UNIX
source licenses.