wanted: cshell for systemV

Craig D. Singer cds at duke.UUCP
Wed Jan 1 04:59:22 AEST 1986

In article <397 at mordred.purdue.UUCP> fjn at purdue.UUCP (Francie J Newbery) writes:
>Surely I am not the first person to be hankering for cshell when
>I have to switch from my 4.2BSD Vax to my SystemV Release 2 machine.
>If anyone has developed such a program (even a simplified version)
>and would be willing to share it, I would be very interested in
>seeing a copy.
>
>Thanks,
>Francie Newbery

I'm not sure if what I have is what you want, but...
Here at Duke, a few of us have developed a set of C programs which have been
running on AT&T 3b2's (SysV).  The programs incorporate a history feature,
an alias mechanism, file completion keys, a nice history editor (not the
cshell "!" garbage), and some other stuff.  It's not really a cshell at all,
but rather a simulator.  It has its deficiencies, too; mainly, it creates
temporary files which sometimes cause ugly error messages like:

/tmp/cshell4033: foo: command not found

Nothing spectacular, but if you're interested, I'd be happy to pass a couple
of versions along.
--

Craig D. Singer, Dept. of Computer Science, Duke University
Durham, NC 27706-2591.  Phone (919) 684-5110  (ext.20)