wanted: cshell for systemV

Bill.Stewart.4K435.x0705 wcs at ho95e.UUCP
Mon Jan 6 09:26:48 AEST 1986

Somebody asked if you could get csh for System V; someone else replied:
>> For a (relatively) small fee, you can purchase a source copy of the
>> "Korn Shell" (ksh) which is a fair simulation of the ever-popular csh, with a
>> few added features that are quite nice.  While it is not the same old
>> comfortable csh, but it is better than the standard SYS V shell.

As Ron Natalie also pointed out, ksh isn't like csh, it's upward
compatible from the standard Bourne Shell (sh), and has history,
aliases, functions, and all the good things csh gives you with the same
easy-to-program-in syntax from sh.  (I might add that it does a much
better job of history than csh, and adds a number of other interesting
features.)  A few features associated with csh are really 4.*BSD
features, like ^Z job control; if your OS doesn't provide them, your
shell can't either (ksh does the right thing with ^Z if it has OS
support, and supposedly can somewhat deal with SVR2 shell layers.)
But it's not csh, so if you're addicted to csh or have csh
scripts you don't want to rewrite, you really want csh.

Csh is available at AT&T under the exptools system, which is an
internal software distribution system.  Each tool has an official
provider; unfortunately, "NONE" is the official provider for csh.
I assume it's a port from 4.1BSD, and brings ugly licensing restrictions
along with it, so don't ask me to mail you the binaries (I don't have
source).  Does anyone know its status, or who ported it?
				Thanks;
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs