FSLS - List big files in file system - (nf)

David E. Miran dem at uwslh.UUCP
Tue Sep 9 05:44:50 AEST 1986

In <14600002 at siedap.UUCP> tim writes
>      Find(1) has a size option, but this is only true
>      when the file has exactly that number of blocks (not when
>      it has at least that  many  blocks).
Not true:  specifying a size of +xxx means more than xxx blocks
at least for 4.2 BSD.
>      Furthermore  'find'
>      doesn't  stop at file system boundaries - bad if you want
>      to look at '/'.
Administering a system with a lot of file systems, which change
frequently makes this a feature, not a problem.
The following one line shell will nicely build a list of files
over 1 Megabyte (2000 blocks).  We run it nightly and check the list
in the morning.
find / -size +2000 -exec ls -l '{}' ';' > /usr/biglist
--
David E. Miran         ...!{seismo,harvard,topaz,ihnp4}!uwvax!uwslh!dem
Wisconsin State Hygiene Lab    or    uwslh!dem at rsch.wisc.edu
University of Wisconsin          (608) 262-0019
465 Henry Mall
Madison, WI  53706