Definition of isprint()

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue Dec 20 03:36:12 AEST 1988

In article <9206 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:

| Yes, I checked this with our fearless Redactor, who assures me that
| the Committee deliberately decided not to be more specific about
| these functions even in the "C" locale.  Given the wide variety of
| display technologies in use, it's not clear that many of these
| functions are all that useful anyway.  (isspace() is about the best.)

  Perhaps what we need is "isC()" which is like is print, but defines
any required character in C source to be "printing" for purposes of
compiler action. I usually want to avoid printing "magic" characters
when I use isprint. I suppose that there are (or will be) versions in
which characters like '{' will not be printing, unless represented by an
escape sequence.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)