Definition of isprint()

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Dec 17 07:04:49 AEST 1988

In article <1988Dec15.181144.2066 at utzoo.uucp> henry at utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>Alas, the wording at the head of section 4.3 (October draft) just says
>"implementation-defined" without narrowing it down further.  A footnote
>[note that footnotes are not binding on implementors, as they are not
>officially part of the standard] pins down what this means for ASCII,
>but not more generally.

Yes, I checked this with our fearless Redactor, who assures me that
the Committee deliberately decided not to be more specific about
these functions even in the "C" locale.  Given the wide variety of
display technologies in use, it's not clear that many of these
functions are all that useful anyway.  (isspace() is about the best.)