Defining Portable (Was: Invalid pointer addresses)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.ARPA
Mon Oct 3 15:08:53 AEST 1988

In article <21199 at watmath.waterloo.edu> atbowler at watmath.waterloo.edu (Alan T. Bowler [SDG]) writes:
>At one time there were 2 terms "portable" and "machine independant".

This appears to be a dispute between holders of the view that a significant
application should be divided into machine-specific and machine-independent
parts (which, if done properly, makes porting fairly easy) and holders of
the view that most significant C applications need not depend on machine
specifics in the first place.  I think Henry and I are in the latter camp.