I can't find a good definition anywhere...

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UUCP
Mon May 15 01:21:22 AEST 1989

In article <10260 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>You don't need #pragma for your code to be non-conformant.
>The important thing is that *conformant* code following the
>occurrence of #pragma be interpreted by the implementation
>according to the ANSI specs.

That is *exactly* what I said two articles ago, and Doug objected.
If your *code* would be ANSI without the #pragma, then no worries.
The tough question, which I thought (think? thunk?) Henry was getting
at, is whether a *compiler* that allows you to use #pragma to create
non-conformant code -- even though it satisifies the other requirements
above -- deserves the ANSI imprimatur.  My position is that there's
no choice, because they'll all be doing it.
--
Tom Neff				UUCP:     ...!uunet!bfmny0!tneff
    "Truisms aren't everything."	Internet: tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET