New US Rep to ISO C

Norman Diamond diamond at diamond.csl.sony.junet
Mon May 1 19:25:42 AEST 1989

From: gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn)

In article <17.UUL1.3#5077 at aussie.UUCP> rex at aussie.UUCP (Rex Jaeschke) writes:

>Zortec's C++ V1.07c. I presume it's the most recent release since I
>was recently shipped it for review. It says __STDC__ == 1 and won't
>hand ??= as #.

Well, it's hard to say which is more strange:
(1)  A C++ compiler which claims ANSI-C compatibility; or
(2)  Someone checking for ANSI-C compatibility in a C++ compiler.

Even some things that were supposed to be pure upgrades to C++ still
break valid C programs.  For example, I had learned to use typedef in
a way that helps make code self-documenting (though not popular with
C programmers), e.g.:

typedef struct my_stuff_t  *my_stuff_ptr_t;
typedef struct her_stuff_t *her_stuff_ptr_t;

typedef struct my_stuff_t {
    /* my stuff */
    her_stuff_ptr_t my_reference;
} my_stuff_t;                     /* this line broken by C++ */
                                  /* (only a warning in g++) */

my_stuff_t     joes_stuff;

Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for
  If they're also your opinions,   |  re-inventing the wheel, when car
  you're infringing my copyright.  |  manufacturers are praised for it?