Goals of X3J11 (was Re: directory handling in ansi C)

Martin Weitzel martin at mwtech.UUCP
Thu Nov 23 21:07:42 AEST 1989

Following the discussion up to this point, I don't want to continue,
but I whished the committee had left out the C-stdlib completly on the
first run and later defined this item in several subsets, to which the
C-implementations could seperatly conform (or not).

There are so many more things than directory handling, for which I would
like to see a 'standard' way. Eg for me as applications-programmer
the first on the list is 'curses' for a mathematican it might be
vector- and matrix-operations, a.s.o.

Furthermore, at least for us europeans the approach on international
character sets is a real *big* issue, but it's a pitty, that it has
retarded the final standard.

I feel, because C is an *extendable* language on behalf of its concept
of seperate translation, there should not be so much discussion about
the contents of the stdlib. The only thing which which is important are
the rules for 'reserved names' that I may not use in my own libraries.