Goals of X3J11 (was Re: directory handling in ansi C)

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sat Nov 25 03:24:05 AEST 1989

In article <481 at mwtech.UUCP> martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
>Following the discussion up to this point, I don't want to continue,
>but I whished the committee had left out the C-stdlib completly on the
>first run and later defined this item in several subsets, to which the
>C-implementations could seperatly conform (or not).

X3J11 was generally of the sentiment that there was a de facto fuzzy
standard for string operations, I/O, etc. and that any really useful
C standard would have to include these facilities (at least for the
"hosted" environment; "freestanding" excludes almost all of them).
I agree with the decision; from my point of view standardizing the
library facilities was MORE important than standardizing the raw
language.