Application oriented C++ language extensions

Michael T. Horne mhorne at ka7axd.WV.TEK.COM
Tue Nov 21 03:51:06 AEST 1989

(directed primarily at comp.dsp, but others in comp.lang.c++ may wish to
comment)

In a recent article by Paul Budnik:

> The operator overloading and object oriented features of C++ form an
> excellent framework for providing high level application oriented
> language extensions via class libraries. Such extensions will be of
> greatest value if they can play together.
>
> For example I am developing a C++ based tool for digital signal
> processing and will want to add image processing and matrix
> operations. The code for the DSP operations is proprietary.
> However, the language notation ideally will conform to (or become)
> a public domain industry standard.

For DSP applications, just a few simple extensions can make an incredible
difference in algorithm prototyping time.  I've already implemented my own
set of extensions (e.g. shift registers, fixed-point data types with
corresponding math operations, etc.) and have used them extensively for
(relatively) rapid prototyping of algorithms that eventually are implemented
in hardware.  A standardized extension (formal or informal) would be very
useful and would greatly reduce duplicate work.

> A formal standards process would be premature, but having some focus for
> collecting information and airing issues would be  valuable.

Agreed.  An informal discussion group (for DSP applications, if no global
coordinating group exists) may be in order.  Assuming this hasn't already
started in one form or another, is there sufficient interest in an ad hoc
group on C++ extensions for DSP use?

Mike
mhorne at ka7axd.wv.tek.com
...!tektronix!mhorne%ka7axd.wv.tek.com