Macro names imbedded in pp-numbers [repost]

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Sun Nov 19 17:59:36 AEST 1989

In article <3060 at splut.conmicro.com> jay at splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>Uhm, Doug...does this mean that the behavior of a program differs with
>the use or non-use of white space? Isn't this different from the rest of C?

No, white space has always been significant for preprocessing.  Consider:
	#define	foo	(void)
	foo bar();
	foobar();

White space is also sometimes significant outside preprocessing:
	a = b / *c;	/* comment */	;
	a = b/*c;	/* comment */	;
This was even worse when we had =op assignment operators.

The latter example strikes me as quite analogous to the pp-number situation.