the "const" qualifier

diamond@tkovoa diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
Mon Aug 6 18:49:18 AEST 1990

In article <127 at thor.UUCP> scjones at thor.UUCP (Larry Jones) writes:

>It seems to me that there used to be a statement in the standard that
>said basically that if an aggregate is qualified, all of the members
>are effectively qualified, and if a member of an aggregate is
>qualified, then the aggregate is effectively qualified.  Now I don't
>seem to be able to find it.  Am I imagining things again, did I miss
>it, or did we remove it?

In section 3.5.3, the Semantics almost say that for arrays.  (However,
if a qualifier is "inherited" along the "wrong" path via a typedef,
then the standard does not define the result.)  The Semantics say
nothing for structs.

However, the Examples are a lot stronger.  The Examples state that
certain things are illegal even though the rules say nothing about
them.  I guess it's time for another interpretation.  (At least this
time, the Examples don't contradict the rules.)
Norman Diamond, Nihon DEC     diamond at tkou02.enet.dec.com
This is me speaking.  If you want to hear the company speak, you need DECtalk.