Naming

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Tue Mar 6 10:01:07 AEST 1990

In article <12273 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>To be fair, it should be noted that the absence of any clear statement
>about the validity of supplanting library functions with one's own made
>it uncertain whether it was supposed to be allowed or not...

Actually, I was thinking more along these lines: whether or not it was
*supposed* to be allowed, in actual practice it was not.  For example, on most
Unix systems, if you try to provide an alternate version of malloc() without
also providing realloc() and free(), you'll get an error at link time, since
the three functions are all in the same module.  Thus, arbitrary library
substitution does not always work.

Karl W. Z. Heuer (karl at ima.ima.isc.com or harvard!ima!karl), The Walking Lint