How to write Trigraph like character sequences in a string

Norman Diamond diamond at jit533.swstokyo.dec.com
Wed Jun 5 10:59:58 AEST 1991

In article <16332 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1991Jun3.011539.17430 at tkou02.enet.dec.com> diamond at jit533.enet@tkou02.enet.dec.com (Norman Diamond) writes:
>>...  And if you need trigraphs in the first place, then (7) is the ONLY ...
>
>Actually, one never NEEDS trigraphs; they're required to be supported as a
>convenience when interchanging source code among sites or equipment with
>poor support for the C source character set.

Well, if one has equipment with poor support for the C source character set,
then one either NEEDS trigraphs, or (worse) one needs to use a human-readable
and human-writable graphic mechanism that will be ad-hoc because the committee
refused to standardize one.  Anyway, clearly I was referring to cases with
equipment that does not support the C character set (and to cases where the
implementation is designed for such equipment, even if such equipment is not
used at that moment).

>However, all conforming
>implementations MUST support the full C source character set (as specified
>in X3.159-1989 section 2.2.1) in addition to trigraph sequences (2.2.1.1).

Does this mean that in a national character set that doesn't have [|\ etc.,
and a proposed implementation accepts the entire national character set
plus trigraphs, failure to support [|\ etc. through direct means without
trigraphs will make the implementation non-conforming?

I thought that the exact opposite of this was previously decided, that
trigraphs were sufficient in such cases.
Norman Diamond       diamond at tkov50.enet.dec.com
Permission is granted to feel this signature, but not to look at it.