How to write Trigraph like character sequences in a string

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Tue Jun 4 15:04:44 AEST 1991

In article <16332 at smoke.brl.mil> gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>However, all conforming
>implementations MUST support the full C source character set (as specified
>in X3.159-1989 section 2.2.1) in addition to trigraph sequences (2.2.1.1).

And the only "standard" way to *get* trigraphs is to use the 'c89' command.
Since ANSI C *can't* specify how to get full conformance, having something
like

	filter_trigraphs file.c | pre_processor | check_syntax | compile

is a perfectly "valid" way to get a conforming compiler.  Unless, as noted
previously, you're on a POSIX-compliant system, in which case you will be
able to use the aforementioned c89 command.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."