tmpfile Question

Blair P. Houghton bhoughto at hopi.intel.com
Wed Mar 27 16:29:08 AEST 1991

In article <2537.03.91 at drdhh.hanse.de> bjoern at drdhh.hanse.de writes:
>My question is:
>May a conforming program call tmpfile() more than once ?

You can call it, but if you get NULL as the return value
or end up clobbering the same file, the implementation
still conforms...

(Btw, mode "wb+" truncates the file to 0 length then
allows fseek()/rewind() operations on it; the 'b'
indicates that when opened the access pointer can be
positioned past the end of the data due to null padding,
but if the file is truncated to 0 length... ? )

>The MW Book doesn't say anything about it and my clib
>always creates the same file (brain-damaged at all).

This is conformant behavior, nonetheless.

>I would like to have a definitive statement before
>I go and complain to my vendor.

Complain, anyway.  They weren't prevented from having it
open uniquely-named files, but there's nothing there
that says it should.  Better yet, tell them how to write
it and they might just do it that way.

				--Blair
				  "...for the next 'release'...in six
				   months...for Eastern Borneo only..."