proper semi-portable use of signal()?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.brl.mil
Fri Mar 29 08:55:49 AEST 1991

In article <11568 at dog.ee.lbl.gov> torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:
>The word on the streets is that current POSIX drafts *do* require more
>than one argument.

Then SC22 or whatever the appropriate coordinating agency is
should block the conflicting standard.

>It was probably a mistake for ANSI X3.159-1989 and POSIX to attempt
>to share the name `signal' and the type `signal handler' at all.

POSIX.1 deliberately relegated signal() to a different category from
sigvec().  I don't much care how sigvec() handlers are specified, but
signal() handlers MUST conform to the previously-decided interface.