proper semi-portable use of signal()?

Mark Brown mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com
Fri Mar 29 08:40:02 AEST 1991

torek at elf.ee.lbl.gov (Chris Torek) writes:
|gwyn at smoke.brl.mil (Doug Gwyn) writes:
|>The signal handler function does NOT have a variable argument list,
|>but always receives precisely one argument of type int.  The ,... is
|>a bogus attempt to accommodate 4.2BSD-style signal handers.  If some
|>recent modification has been made to POSIX.1 that requires this, it
|>is WRONG and in general incompatible with the C standard.
|
|The word on the streets is that current POSIX drafts *do* require more
|than one argument.

POSIX 1003.1-1990 (the ISO version), Section 3.3.1.3 Signal Actions, Sub
3b -
"The signal-catching function shall be entered as a C language function
call as follows:	void func ( int SIGNO );
where func is the specified signal-catching function and SIGNO is the signal
number of the signal being delivered."
[This is the OFFICIAL POSIX DOCUMENT for .1, not a draft.]

POSIX 1003.2 Draft 11 (the current draft) says nothing.

POSIX 1003.2a Draft 6 says nothing.

I can't speak for the .4 folks, or the multiprocessing people. I can say that
every effort is made to keep from contradicting the C standard....

--
Mark Brown    IBM PSP Austin, TX.     (512) 823-3741   VNET: MBROWN at AUSVMQ
MAIL: mbrown at testsys.austin.ibm.com OR uunet!testsys.austin.ibm.com!mbrown