Reactions to the 12/1989 Standard Summaries

Mark H. Colburn mark at jhereg.Minnetech.MN.ORG
Wed Dec 6 02:29:32 AEST 1989

From: mark at jhereg.Minnetech.MN.ORG (Mark H. Colburn)

In article <459 at longway.TIC.COM> randall at uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson) writes:
>From: randall at uvaarpa.virginia.edu (Randall Atkinson)
>
>Before I get into the technical reactions, I'd like to make public
>complaints about the way that the IEEE is handling access to draft
>materials from the 1003 working groups.  I have contacted the IEEE
>by phone and postal mail asking how to get mailings of the drafts
>so that I can comment on the proposals on a timely basis.  The IEEE
>has verbally indicated that they "would get back to me" with details
>on how to do this but have not.

There are a number of ways that you can participate.  One of the ways to do
this is as a corresponding group member to one of the IEEE 1003.? or 1201
groups.  If IEEE is not giving you then information, then you should let
either Shane McCarron, Secretary TCOS-SS or Jim Issak, Chair TCOS-SS know
about it so that IEEE may be properly chastised.

The idea behind the corresponding group is that you receive mailings 8
times a year.  These mailings contian minutes and information from the
meetings, and also contain drafts of the material being presented.  These
mailings are LARGE, especially if you subscribe to more than one group.

There has been a great deal of success with the corresponding members in
the past.  This tradition will no doubt continue.  The Corresponding Group
members are just as much of a part of the commitee as the ones that
actually attend the meeting.  Several notable people including Richard
Stallman, Dennis Richie and David Korn have all provided input to the
working groups without attending meetings often, if at all.

The mailings are not free.  There is a charge associated with receiving
these mailings, however, it is much less expensive than attending the
meetings themselves.

If you would like more information regarding the mailings, you should
contact:

                       Charles Haberman
                       NAPS International
                       117 Mackubin Street, Suite 6
                       St. Paul, MN 55102

                       +1 612 224 9239

The mailings are also a good way to find out when there are ballot groups
forming for the various working groups.  Note that being a corresponding
group member does not automatically enter you into the balloting group.

--
Mark H. Colburn                       mark at Minnetech.MN.ORG
Open Systems Architects, Inc.