Is POSIX degenerating into OSI?

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uucp
Wed Dec 6 09:16:00 AEST 1989

From: uunet!ficc!peter (Peter da Silva)

Regarding a standard API for windows:

> I am not sure that X is the best
> choice, but it is a widely accepted base: the basis for any standard.

I'm pretty sure it isn't. X is not a very clean interface, and it's
much too low-level. The standard interface should not require the
programmer to manually create and destroy menus, handle expose events,
and so on. Look at UNIX: the API was tiny, 35 or so system calls to do
everything that other operating systems required hundreds of entry
points to do. You just dealt with files... details like disk space
allocation, buffer allocation, and so on were hidden from the user.

Window systems should be like this. Something like the X toolkits, but
without the toolkits' underlying complexity.
---
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter at ficc.uu.net>.
 'U`  Also <peter at ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter at sugar.lonestar.org>.

      "If you want PL/I, you know where to find it." -- Dennis