posix-testing mailing list created

Chuck Karish karish at forel.stanford.edu
Fri Dec 8 16:18:43 AEST 1989

From: karish at forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish)

       This is to announce the creation of the posix-testing mailing
       list.  The intent is to provide a forum for discussion
       of issues related to testing operating systems for conformance
       to the various POSIX standards and proposed standards
       (IEEE 1003.x and whatever derivative standards may emerge
       from the NIST, ANSI, ISO, and so on).

       These issues include problems related to test suites in general,
       testability of various features of the standards, and
       portability of the test suites to the many very different
       POSIX implementations we expect to see in the near future.
       We'll focus on the test suites themselves, rather than on
       the standards to which they test (notably POSIX p1003.3).

       Where discussions stray into general standards issues, I
       will try to redirect them to the appropriate venues, such
       as the comp.std.unix and comp.std.c news groups and the
       posix-ada mailing list.

       POSIX compliance of applications is excluded from the scope
       of this group.

       I anticipate that much of the discussion will focus, for
       now, on problems related to the three generally-available
       test suites, the NIST-PCTS for 1003.1 and the IBM test
       suites for 1003.1 and 1003.2.  The people responsible for
       supporting those test suites may find this an appropriate
       channel for distribution of bug fixes and announcements of
       new releases.

       Submissions will be collected at Mindcraft and redistributed
       in digest form.  I reserve the right to exclude submissions
       that are in bad taste, contain proprietary information, or
       are outside the scope of the list as described here.

       Submissions go to

          posix-testing at mindcraft.com
          ({decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!posix-testing)

       To subscribe, send a request to

          posix-testing-request at mindcraft.com
          ({decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!posix-testing-request)

	Chuck Karish		karish at mindcraft.com
	(415) 323-9000		karish at forel.stanford.edu