Is POSIX degenerating into OSI?

Rich Salz rsalz at bbn.com
Mon Dec 4 05:32:19 AEST 1989

From: rsalz at bbn.com (Rich Salz)

C and Unix got their start in the early 1970's (K&R has a copyright of
1978, I believe) and attempts to make international standards didn't
really happen for nearly a decade later -- the mid 1980's, for the most
part.  The concepts and techniques had the benefit of years of wide-spread
use in which to mature and prove themselves.

Now IEEE wants to standardize a window system before most vendors have
even started shipping a something based on non-proprietary technology?  We
are not even talking about a compressed adolesence here, folks -- in most
cases the child can't even walk without upright a friendly adult nearby to
help keep him pointed in the right direction.

I wish the technical people involved in these standards processes had
the guts to tell the marketing people to take a flying leap and tell
them to come back in a few years when things are ready.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz at uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.