POSIX tools list?

David A Willcox willcox at urbana.mcd.mot.com
Wed Aug 15 23:28:57 AEST 1990

From:  willcox at urbana.mcd.mot.com (David A Willcox)

I'm not sure how these responses got into the newsgroup.  I intended
to send my original response directly to the guy who asked for a list
of utilities.  I didn't think I was posting it to the world.  Ah, well.

[ See my followup about this.  -mod ]

In article <11187 at cs.utexas.edu> mwette at csi.Jpl.Nasa.Gov (Matt Wette) writes:

>I didn't see "ld" in your posting  Did you forget it or is there really
>no POSIX spec for "ld".   If there is, I would be interested to know if
>"ld -A" (loading to an executing program) will be in the spec.

No, there is no "ld" in POSIX.2.  You link a bunch of objects using
"c89 [-o file] a.o b.o ...".

The details of a raw "ld" were considered too implementation-specific
for a standard.

David