Standard behaviour when searching libraries

Dik T. Winter dik at cwi.nl
Sat Jan 19 12:54:54 AEST 1991

Submitted-by: dik at cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter)

As I do not have access to any of the current or forthcoming standards, I ask
this question here.  Is it defined anywhere what the behaviour of the loader
is in the load step with respect to libraries?  Especially is there any
difference between a full path specification of the library or a short hand
specification using -l?  I ask because I encountered a system that showed a
marked difference between:
	cc foo.c /usr/lib/libm.a
and:
	cc foo.c -lm
In the first case the complete library is linked into the object module,
in the second only the routines needed are linked in.
Does any standard say something about this (SVID, Posix)?
dik at cwi.nl