No lost+found directory on the 3B1

Richard Kuhns rjk at mrstve.UUCP
Mon Nov 17 12:34:20 AEST 1986

I've gotten bitten by this, and I haven't seen it mentioned yet, so here
goes:  There is no lost+found directory on a distribution 7300/3B1.

When you boot a 3B1, it automatically runs an `fsck -p'.  If any (severe)
problems are found, it then runs an `fsck -y'.  Well and good, since the
machine is apparently aimed at people who are not familiar with UNIX.
HOWEVER, since there is no lost+found directory, any files which are not
referenced simply vanish, since fsck can't put them in /lost+found.
EXTREMELY annoying.

I can't see any reason for this.  Granted, the (non-technical) user this
machine is aimed at probably wouldn't know how to go about finding
(and fixing/replacing) a file that ended up in /lost+found, but it
wouldn't be too difficult to find someone (at the software Hotline, say)
who would know how to fix it.

My solution?  I created a /lost+found directory (with 25 empty slots).
I then edited /etc/rc so I now have an interactive fsck running when
my machine reboots.  Gives me a much greater feeling of security.

By the way, you can look at /etc/lastfsck if you want to see what
fsck did the last time it found a severe error.  Too late to do anything
about it, but...
--
Rich Kuhns		{ihnp4, decvax, etc...}!pur-ee!pur-phy!mrstve!rjk