Hard Disk for PC-6300

Jim Greenlee jkg at gitpyr.gatech.EDU
Fri Nov 21 02:21:17 AEST 1986

In article <459 at ll1.UUCP> cej at ll1.UUCP (One of the Jones Boys) writes:
>- Most personal computers I am familiar with have a utility for
>- parking the disk heads, but the documentation generally indicates
>- that the heads only need to be parked if the computer is going to
>- be moved.
>
>	The documentation does seem to be correct, and is in
>agreement with all documentation I have ever seen for winchester
>drives that don't auto-park.
>
>	At one time I supported (installed/maintained) over 50 AT&T
>6300s and IBM-PCs for a period of about a year and a half, and none
>of the drives were ever parked except to be moved.  And in that
>time, other than infant mortality, we had only one failure of a
>drive that was related to the media or heads.  So you can feel quite
>safe following the documentation.   This time... :-)

When I purchased my PC 6300, I was specifically told NOT to park the heads
with the DOS 3.1 "SHIP" utility. The salesman claimed that it would cause
problems, but did not elaborate. Any reason why I would have been given this
advice? (the drive is an ST-235, I believe).

                                           Jim Greenlee

{ What follows are blank lines so our stinking news system will take this
article (something about including more lines than new lines) Please hit
"n", or whatever, now }

--
The Shadow...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!jkg

Jryy, abj lbh'ir tbar naq qbar vg! Whfg unq gb xrrc svqqyvat jvgu vg hagvy lbh
oebxr vg, qvqa'g lbh?!