6300 Memory upgrade

G. P. Wilkin gpw at ihdev.UUCP
Sat Nov 22 04:10:54 AEST 1986

> In article <7191 at topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> gopstein at topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Richard Gopstein) writes:
> >
> >  A friend has an ATT 6300 with one floppy drive and one 10M
> >hard disk purchased about a year ago.  The system came with 256K
> >RAM on the motherboard, and he is interested in upgrading the
> >system to 640K.  Unfortunately, he thinks that all of the existing
> >chips (64K)? are soldered directly to the motherboard.  Did they
> >really do this?  If so, what are his options?
>
> This is not true. There are 2 banks - one is soldered-in 64K chips, the other
>                                             Jim Greenlee

TIMEOUT!!

Jim, you have said is true of NEWER 6300s ONLY. The older model (CPU-3) did
indeed have the STUPID soldered in chips. I know this for a fact. In fact
Many of the VERY EARLY 6300s have had soldered in chips, right down to the cpu
(8086) chip.

Silly, I know, but true. All you current and future owners should note that
AT&T does not do this anymore, I think 512K is stock now.

Your explaination is correct otherwise, thanks for putting it out.
George

--
George Wilkin 	AT&T Network Systems, Naperville, IL
		!ihnp4!ihdev!gpw  IH 4A-157  work 312-979-4317