6300+ Monochrome Monitor On/Off Switch Wanted

Stan Dolson stand at bucket.UUCP
Wed Jan 21 04:37:44 AEST 1987

   I recently purchased an AT&T PC 6300+ with the AT&T monochrome monitor.
Unfortunately, AT&T decided to power this monitor from the main system
unit and not from an AC outlet.  Since I am going to be running Unix most
of the time, I'd like to be able to shut off the monitor and leave the
system running (for incoming calls, UUCP, and news).  I've noticed that
prolonged non-use of the monitor (while the system is on) tends to etch
the screen a little bit (eventually, it fades away).

   I don't want to harm my monitor.  Is there any commercially available
product that will fit between the monitor and the plug for it on the rear
of the system that will shut the power to the monitor off?  If there aren't
any such devices available, is such a project feasible, and has anyone in
the same boat done this sort of thing?

Thanks in advance,
   Stan Dolson   (..!tektronix!reed!percival!bucket!stand)