ansi.sys on Xerox 606x --> att 6300

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Tue Jan 20 15:28:43 AEST 1987

Hi,

Recently, I was exploring the ansi.sys that is supplied with
Xerox's version of the 6300.  I noticed that the size of their
ansi.sys was somewhat larger than the AT&T version.  The difference
is that they have a few display modes that display text on the
graphics part of the built in video card.  One fun mode is that you
can get a 50 * 80 display using the 640 * 400 graphics.  The text
is quite legible on the standard AT&T monitor.  You access that
with <Escape>[=72h   .  Where <Escape> represents the escape code.
Scrolling isn't terribly fast (since so much data has to be moved
around), although this is somewhat assisted by upgrading to a NEC
V-30 cpu chip.  In my tests, the V-30 seems to be fully compatible
with ROM BIOS v1.43, but I haven't tested it in older versions yet.
Without going into details, I ran the PC-Mag bench disk and came up
with a 100% speed-up in integer multiplies.  Before, with an 8086,
the 6300=0.2 of an 8MH AT.  With a V-30, 6300=0.4 of an 8MHz AT.
Not everything speeds up that much.  For instance, the NOP loop
with both chips is the same at 0.9 of an AT.  Better get your V-30
now before the NEC vs. Intel law suit makes it history.  It seems
well woth the $12.00 + s/h that we spent (to avoid commercial
messages, check the ads in Computer Shoper, or else call / write me
for the vendor).  Oh yes, the NEC 8MHz V-30 comes in ceramic too at
that price.

Best wishes,
Bill

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA  44272    phone:  216-325-2511
(wtm at neoucom.UUCP    ...!cbatt!neoucom!wtm)